The Home Energy Professional (HEP) Energy Auditor certification is offered by BPI, and is supported by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and its National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL).
The HEP Energy Auditor certification demonstrates advanced competency through rigorous online and field exams, and work experience prerequisites.
Once certified, you will be able to evaluate the energy efficiency, health, and safety of a home. You will gain in-depth knowledge of how to use diagnostic equipment and modeling software to identify areas for energy savings, produce an audit report, and develop a prioritized scope of work for your customer.
Bonus: Getting the Energy Auditor certification automatically earns you the BPI Building Analyst (BA) certification.
Steps to becoming Energy Auditor Certified
- Prerequisites required: Candidates must meet certain education and experience prerequisites prior to taking the online and/or field certification exams. Please read the Prerequisites document for Energy Auditor certification.
- Read the Certification Scheme Handbook and Field Guide for the Energy Auditor certification.
- Fill out all information requested in the application, and gather supporting documentation verifying you meet the prerequisite criteria. Save and send your application via email, fax, or mail to BPI.
- Approval: BPI will notify you of your approval status via email. Please note: The Energy Auditor Certification has been updated as of 3/1/2019. Anyone who would like to challenge the new EA exam(s), must apply and receive BPI approval prior to scheduling, even if they had approval to take the old EA exam(s).
- Training (optional): BPI does not require training and is not affiliated with any training centers. However, individuals who complete training typically perform better on BPI exams. Most BPI Test Centers offer training.
- Take your Energy Auditor exams (online and field). Find a BPI Test Center to schedule your online exam. Click here to view BPI Test Centers that provide the Energy Auditor field exam.
- Exam Scores: You can log in to your candidate account to see your scores. Online scores are available immediately following the completion of your exam and field exams can take up to 5 business days for proctors to add results to your account.
- Certification: If successful, you will receive your certification in the mail within 30 days of testing.
Online exam: 100 multiple choice questions
Time limit: 2 hours
Passing Score: 70%
Field exam: The field exam is a hands-on exam with gated items (below) that must be completed successfully to pass the exam, regardless of any other exam score.
- Candidate prepared combustible gas and CO measurement for use
- Candidate tested indoor ambient CO levels and compared results to current version of ANSI/BPI-1200
- Candidate tested indoor ambient air and verbally confirmed that combustible gases are below 10% of LEL on each floor
- Candidate monitored and stated ambient CO levels measured in the CAZ during entire combustion safety testing
- Candidate set combustion appliance to pilot or standby
Time limit: 4 hours
Passing Score: 82% on remaining tasks.
Processing time for exam results: 5 to 10 business days
The cost of the online and field exams is determined by the BPI Test Center providing the exams. BPI’s recommended list prices for the exams are $250 for online and $700 for field.
BPI Energy Auditors must recertify every three (3) years.
If you have accumulated and submitted at least twenty-four (24) relevant BPI Continuing Education Units (CEUs) over the course of the time you were certified, you may bypass the online exam when it comes time to recertify. In addition, all candidates must re-take the field exam prior to expiration. Once you are EA recertified, you are automatically agreeing to BPI’s Code of Ethics.
Please refer to the recertification section in the Energy Auditor Certification Scheme Handbook for more information.
*For BPI Energy Auditors whose expiration dates fall between now and 2/28/2022, please submit this renewal application with proof of Energy Modeling experience to BPI prior to scheduling your field exam to renew your certification. You will need to submit this application regardless of whether or not you are using CEUs to bypass the online exam.